Today I decided to do another fun facts about an author post, since I have done one in a while. Today I am going to be providing fun facts about Agatha Christie, who is known to be one of the best mystery writers. Not a lot of people know a lot about Agatha Christie, and I hope that some of the facts I provide today will help people understand her and read more of her books.
Let’s get this list party started!
- The first novel she ever written she wrote on a dare from her sister.
- Her character Hercule Poirot was based on a strange man she saw one day, when he was boarding a bus.
- She once disappeared for 10 days without telling anyone where she was going. Turns out she just went to a spa to have some time away from her relationship.
- She loved to surf with her husband.
- She didn’t like taking author photos, because she didn’t want to be recognized in public.
- You can actually rent her home for $500 a night.
- She was educated at home by her mother and her governess.
- She is the only female dramatist ever to have had three plays running simultaneously in London’s West End.
- In 1922 she traveled around the world.
- She was a huge dog lover.
- When her male detective Hercule Poirot “died” he was given a full page obituary in the New York Times.
- Green was her favorite color.
- On the day she died the West End theaters dimmed their lights for one hour.
- For many years she was the President of the local amateur drama society in Wallingford.
- In 1931 she read one of her own stories on BBC radio.
- She was the first crime writer to have 100,000 copies of ten of her titles published by Penguin on the same day in 1948 – A Penguin Million.