So I haven’t done an author fun fact post in awhile, and decided that I was going to do a new post. Today I decided to list some fun facts about Edgar Allen Poe, who was a short story and poems author. I will admit I haven’t read any of his poetry, but they are definitely on my to read list.
Let’s get this list started!
- He is credited as being the trailblazer for short stories
- He is considered America’s first well known professional writer
- His parents are believed to have named him after a Shakespeare character
- When he was four his parents died, and he was taken in by a wealthy family
- He published his first book when he was 18 years old
- When he was 27 he married his first cousin who was only 13 at the time
- He dabbled in Cryptography
- His last name at birth wasn’t Allen, however he was given the name after the wealthy family took him in after his parents died
- His death is still a mystery to this day
- He was born on January 19, 1809
- His mother was Elizabeth Arnold Poe
- Edgars’s father, David, was an alcoholic and abandoned Edgar and his two siblings after Elizabeth’s death. He supposedly died 2 days later
- He was obsessed with cats, and even wrote with a cat sitting on his shoulder
- He is created for defining the first short story
- He originally was going to use a parrot instead of a raven
- In 1848 after his wife’s death in 1847, Poe attempted to commit suicide by ingesting opiates
I hope you learned some new things about Edgar Allen Poe that you didn’t already know. I know I sure learned a lot about this famous author!
Facts taken from the below websites: