Today I decided to do another author fun facts, and I decided on Dr. Seuss. I grew up reading his books, and watching the movies, but as I got to thinking about it there wasn’t really that much I knew about him. His books are still widely produced and loved my many generations, but what do we honestly know about him. I decided to put this list together to better help people understand just who Dr. Seuss was.
So let’s learn something new about an amazing writer:
- His actual name is Theodor Seuss Geisel
- He wrote Green Eggs and Ham on a dare
- As the commander of the Animation Department of the First Motion Picture Unit of the United States Army Air Forces, he produced propaganda and training films
- When the animated Grinch movie first came out it flopped
- He found other children books to be boring
- He was the first person to use the word nerd
- Since his wife couldn’t have children, he had imaginary children, which he would dedicate his books to until having two daughters with his second wife
- He had a large hat collection
- Seuss was his mother’s maiden name
- He came up with the name Dr. Seuss by using his mother’s maiden name, and added Dr due to his father hoping he would become a doctor
- Before he became a writer, he was actually a very successful ad agent
- He tried his hand at adult books, and actually wrote one with nude drawings in it
- He was born on March 2, 1904
- He was voted least likely to succeed in college
- His Alma mater Dartmouth awarded him an honorary doctorate degree
I hope that you have learned something new about Dr. Seuss like I did while creating this list. My favorite book of his is How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and I would love to hear which book of his is your favorite! So please feel free to post in the comments!
Have an Seuss day my friends!
Facts found on the below websites: