Hello my fellow Bookworms!
So I am back with my famous author fun facts post, and this time the author I chose is Walt Whitman. I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about Walt Whitman, which is probably the reason why I choose to do my post today about him. I found that I learn things I never knew about these authors as I do these posts, and I can’t wait to see what we learn today!
Let’s get this list of fun facts started!
- He Didn’t Believe That Shakespeare Wrote His Plays
- General Lafayette Picked Him Up and Kissed Him as a Child
- Whitman Was the Basis for Dracula
- President Bill Clinton Was a Big Fan
- During the Civil War he volunteered his time to visiting soldiers in the hospital
- He is the second oldest out of eight children
- He left school at the age of 11 so he could help support his family
- When he had a stroke in January of 1873, he was left partially paralyzed
- He was one of the early supporters of the political party the Free Soil Party
- His first published work Leaves of Grass contained 12 poems
- He was the founder of the Weekly Freeman, which was an anti-slavery publication
- He is known as the Bard of Diplomacy
- Whitman liked to be nude around friends
- Whitman wrote a mystery novel that was lost for more than 165 years
I hope that everyone who read this learned something new about Walt Whitman like I did. If there is anything about Walt that you know that wasn’t on this list, please feel free to add it in the comments below!
If you want to learn more about the information provided above, here are the websites where I got the information from: