So today I decided to do another one of my author fun facts posts. Today’s author is C.S. Lewis, who wrote The Chronicles of Narnia Series. I will admit other than that I really don’t know much about this author, and I haven’t even read The Chronicles of Narnia, but I have seen the movies. I figured if I didn’t know much about him, there are probably more people who don’t know that much either, so I decided to learn more about him.
Let’s get this list of facts started!
- His full name is Clive Staples Lewis
- He was born on November 29, 1898 in Ireland
- He wrote around 40 books during his lifetime
- He started reading by the age of three, and writing by the age of five
- He served in the Somerset Light infantry during World War 1
- He became a professor at the University of Cambridge teaching Medieval and Renaissance English
- The Chronicles of Narnia first book, has been listed by Time Magazine as one of the top 100 English language novels
- His first book was published in 1919, titled Spirits in Bondage. He published the book under the pseudonym Clive Hamilton
- While teaching at Magdalen C.S. Lewis joined a group of writers and intellectuals including J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis’ own brother Warren Lewis. They called themselves The Inklings
- He won the Hawthornden Prize for his book The Allegory of Love, released in 1936
- He began publishing the series The Chronicles of Narnia in the 1950s. The first book The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, was published in 1950
- He died on November 22, 1963 due to kidney failure
I hope you were able to learn something new about this amazing author, like I did. If you know any other facts about C.S. Lewis, please feel free to include them in the notes below!
To read more about this author, please visit these websites where I got the facts from above from: