Hello Book Worms!
So, today I decided to do another one of my author fun facts posts, and I decided to do it on Bram Stoker, who was a horror writer. I will admit this is another author that I don’t know much about except that he wrote Dracula, which I have seen the movie but haven’t read the book. The book is on my to read list, but for some reason I just haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. I like to do these posts on authors that I don’t know much about because I get to learn more about them, and I hope you learn something new too.
So let’s get this list of facts started!
- He was born in Ireland on November 8, 1847
- His full name is Abraham Stoker
- He got into a fight with Oscar Wilde over a woman, who ended up becoming Stokers wife
- Half of his works of fiction were actually romance novels
- He was cremated and you can visit his ashes, however they are highly protected and you need an escort to enter his final resting place
- He loved art and actually become a founder of the Dublin Sketching Club in 1874
- Dracula is considered to be one of the best vampire novels ever written
- When he published Dracula, he was actually 50 years of age
- Dracula actually means Devil in Wallachian
- He was a star soccer player in College
- He apparently got the idea for Dracula after eating bad crab and having a nightmare
- He actually never visited Romania, which is the location of Dracula
- He died on April 20, 1912, and what he died from is still a mystery
- Eight days before the book Dracula was published, Stoker put on a play about the book in hopes to generate buzz
I hope that you all learned something new about this amazing author, I know I sure did. If you have a fun fact about Bram Stoker that wasn’t on the list, please feel free to add it in the comments below.
For further reading, please visit the website where I found these facts: